These healthy and delicious Crispy Baked Chicken drumsticks are a family and kids favorite! Covered with Honey and herbs, this recipe will provide tasty, crispy, and juicy drumsticks guaranteed to make you and your loved ones full and happy ?.
Prep time is usually 10 minutes; soak in the tasty marinade overnight (Or if you are in a hurry for 30 minutes to an hour) and bake in the oven!
Are Chicken Drumsticks healthy?
It depends! If you are going to bread and fry it, then the answer is a definite NO! but if it’s baked, it can be a delicious part of an overall healthy diet.
Chicken drumsticks contain more fat than breast, making them the perfect choice for many recipes because the extra fat content gives it a juicy and tender taste that breast don’t usually have (Unless you are cooking Tenders on their own!)
Fat is not the Enemy!
Naturally occurring fat is good for you! (Obviously, too much fat can be harmful to your body, but that applies to almost anything). Your real enemies are processed sugars and processed fats; the less of these in your diet, the better!
Proteins, Vitamins, and Minerals:
- Drumsticks contain an adequate amount of proteins and fats that provide your body with energy and help your body build and maintain muscle mass.
- Chicken Legs contain high quantities of B vitamins, that help the body produce energy, regulate it’s metabolism and keep your nervous system healthy!
- Essential Minerals such as Selenium, Zinc, and Phosphorus has a role in regulating the body’s cellular activities and are important for your body’s overall health!
Baked Chicken drumsticks ingredients:
1- Chicken drumsticks: Skin on or Skin Off?
I prefer keeping the skin on drumsticks because the skin helps the meat stay moist and juicy. Leaving the skin on also gives a very tasty golden-brown color and crispiness that is just so satisfying ?
For a less calorie option, remove the skin but cover the pan with aluminum foil to avoid the meat from drying out.
2- Chicken drumsticks Marinade:
- Sea Salt and Black pepper: To taste.
- Oregano and Dry Basil: Add flavor. If you have some fresh Basil the flavor will be way better!
- Sweet Paprika: Adds flavor and color.
- Onion powder: For seasoning.
- Cayenne pepper: I like the kick but not the heat, so it’s up to your personal preference.
- Honey: Adds sweet taste and an extra crunch to the skin.
- Dijon mustard and lemon juice: Adds a bit of a tangy taste.
- Fresh garlic: I like using fresh minced garlic in this recipe; it adds a pleasant fragrance but you can substitute with garlic powder instead.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil: Adds some healthy fat! Check out my favorite olive oil brand here! (Affiliate link)
Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks Instructions:
- Before marinating, use a small sharp knife, make small slashes in the drumsticks to help the marinade penetrate the meat.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients.
- Coat the drumsticks with the marinade in a glass baking dish or a baking pan. (Affiliate Links)
- Cover and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator overnight but if you don’t have time, marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour for the drumsticks to absorb the flavors.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 160°F, broil on low for 5 minutes to get golden and crispy skin. They will continue cooking in the oven until they reach 165°F.
Important Tip: The chicken will keep cooking during the broiling phase since the oven is still hot! They should easily reach the USDA required temperature of 165°F.
How long does it take to bake chicken drumsticks?
Cook the chicken in a preheated oven to 425°F for 40 minutes. (Time may vary depending on the chicken size!)
- The Goal is to get crispy and golden brown skin so please avoid covering the pan or the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- However, you should check after 25 to 30 minutes to see if the drumsticks started to gain the golden color on the outside without reaching the internal temperature of 160°F cover with foil and keep baking until fully cooked.
- Avoid overcooking; the drumsticks should be ready after 35 to 40 minutes but if your oven is too hot, they will be ready sooner.
What to Serve with baked drumsticks?
- Creamy Homemade Hummus
- white or Yellow Rice
- White or Whole Wheat Pasta
- Best Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
How to Store and Reheat?
Storage: Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat: In the microwave or the oven.
Cold leftovers: Too lazy to reheat? Been there done that ? Remove the skin, cut into slices, and use on a salad or pasta.