This healthy Mediterranean Eggplant Salad is packed with flavors, from the tangy, vinegary, and garlicky dressing to the fresh veggies. There are many ways to cook eggplant, but my new favorite is Air Frying; it is easy, fast, and healthy!
This salad is vegan, healthy, gluten-free, and has a kick of spicy, but you can always adjust your level of heat!
It’s an amazing dish that you will enjoy as a salad, side dish, or dip with some pita bread! If you like to create a hearty meal, add chickpeas, tahini sauce, or feta cheese.
Eggplant is a staple in my home, and I use it in my Baba ganough, Musaka’a, Maklouba (rice with eggplant), and my husband’s favorite Fatet makdous (Eggplant casserole).
Is This Salad Healthy?
The main component of this recipe is Eggplant. Eggplants are considered a nutrient-dense food, which means that it packs a lot of nutrients in a few calories!
- Eggplants contain a very low amount of Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamins such as Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, and essential minerals such as Magnesium, Phosphorus, Copper, Potassium, and Manganese. (1)
- Eggplants are high in fiber content. Research suggests that diets high in fiber have had a positive effect on both Healthy and Diabetic individuals! (2)
Healthy Mediterranean Eggplant Salad Ingredients:
- Eggplant: Grilled, roasted, or fried, but I prefer Air frying to be healthier. Get it fresh and make sure that the skin is shiny.
- Fresh veggies: Diced tomatoes, green pepper, red onion, and chopped parsley.
- White vinegar: Gives that tangy taste.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed, it gives a brightness.
- Garlic: This recipe requires to be garlicky, so feel free to add more garlic.
- Chili paste: Adds spiciness and flavor.
- Spices: Ground cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper (optional).
- Salt and Black pepper: to taste.
- Neutral oil or spraying oil: Canola, vegetable, or olive oil to coat the eggplant before air frying.
How To Make Eggplant Salad:
- Cook the eggplant: Peel and cut the eggplant into small cubes. Using an oil or spraying oil, make sure to coat the eggplants with the oil. Place them in the air fryer and cook for 12-15 minutes. Occasionally, turn them over until the eggplant is soft and fully cooked. Leave to cool down, then serve.
- Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, Mix the white vinegar, lemon juice, minced garlic, chili paste, and spices. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the tomato, green pepper, and red onions. Chop the fresh parsley. Set aside.
- Mix: In a large bowl, add the eggplant, diced veggies, and chopped parsley, then pour the dressing and toss lightly to combine.
- Serve: Finally, Transfer into a serving dish and serve cold with pita bread.
- To roast the eggplant: preheat the oven to 425°F, place the cubed eggplant into a baking sheet and drizzle the oil. Roast for 10 minutes, lightly turn the eggplants over, and roast for 10 minutes until tender and cooked.
- Eggplant tends to be bitter, so make sure to add salt to reduce that bitterness.
- You can always adjust the level of heat and how garlicky you prefer.
What To Serve With Mediterranean Eggplant Salad?
Mediterranean Eggplant Salad is served as a dip with warm pita bread, or you can make it as a meal; add Tahini sauce, chickpeas, and some feta cheese.
Place the leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 4- 7 days.