Do you think making creamy tomato soup with fresh tomatoes is hard or takes time? Think again! This soup recipe is so easy, it only takes 30 minutes to fix, and the best part is it’s made with fresh tomatoes!
My husband and main taste tester, Ahmed, LOVES tomatoes, so it wasn’t such a great surprise that he was so excited when he knew that I was fixing Creamy Tomato Soup for dinner.
Say goodbye to soups that live in cans with high sodium content, additives, and preservatives, and say hello to fresh, healthy creamy tomato soup!
Is Tomato soup healthy?
Nothing feels better than having delicious, tasty food that is healthy (AKA Guilt-Free!), and this tomato soup recipe does exactly that!
The health benefits of tomatoes are numerous, and that is mainly because of 2 main components:
A – Lycopene: It’s the pigment that gives tomatoes their characteristic bright red color.
B – Antioxidants: The body can accumulate harmful cell-damaging molecules called (free radicals) and antioxidants such as Lycopene, flavonoids, vitamins C and E.
Protects skin against harmful UV rays and promotes skin health
Research suggests that lycopene and beta carotene helps your skin fight harmful UV rays and help you maintain a youthful-looking complexion.
It goes without saying that you still need to use your regular sun protection, but it’s also good to know that your diet contains UV rays fighting ingredients ? (1,2,3)
Improves bone health
Helps reduce risk of heart disease
Lycopene, vitamin C and Carotenoids in tomatoes can protect you against cardiovascular diseases.
Creamy Tomato Soup Ingredients
- Roma Tomatoes: Get the ripest and reddest tomatoes you can find. (Canned Tomatoes with their juice work too).
- Olive oil: It’s a healthier alternative compared to butter (works well for vegans too).
- Onions: Go with a small-sized onion cut into cubes; it will mix into the soup, adding a bit of sweetness. (I used red onions for this recipe, but you can use yellow onions for a sweeter taste)
- Tomato Paste: Gives the soup a stronger flavor and a more vibrant color.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
- Garlic: You will need about 4 cloves smashed.
- Broth: Adds flavor to tomatoes as it simmers. I used Chicken broth, but you can use vegetable broth if you are vegan.
- Dried Basil: 1 teaspoon (If you have fresh, then chop it and use it instead).
- Dried Thyme: 1 teaspoon (If you have fresh, then chop it and use it instead).
- Oregano: 1 Teaspoon
- Sugar: 1 Tablespoon is necessary to offset the acidity of tomatoes.
- Heavy cream – Adds a creamy taste and texture to the soup! (Sour cream is a low calorie and healthier option, but it is more likely to curdle)
- Pinch of chili flakes: Optional but recommended if you enjoy a nice kick but be careful not to put too much!
How to make creamy tomato soup?
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Then add the onions and garlic, stir for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, a pinch of chili flakes (optional), salt, black pepper, oregano, basil, and thyme. Stir for 3-4 minutes. Then add the tomato paste and sugar.
- Pour the broth. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat. Using a mixer or an immersion blender, grind until the texture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour back into the pot, add the heavy cream, and boil once over low heat.
- Serve warm on its own or with your favorite additions.
What can I add to my tomato soup?
Cheese: Some shredded Parmesan is my first choice, but shredded cheddar or mozzarella taste good as well.
Garlic cheese bread
Just skip the heavy cream! You can also substitute the olive oil with margarine for a creamier texture and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
If you are using a countertop blender, make sure to puree a small batch at a time and tighten the lid loosely (or remove the center cap from the lid); because the steam will create pressure which might cause a soup explosion in your kitchen ?. I would suggest covering the top with a dishtowel while grinding.
Fresh Vs. Canned Tomatoes for my soup recipe
I started cooking when I first moved to Egypt in 2007, and canned tomatoes were not for sale there! So, I had to fix my tomato soup from scratch without wasting close to an hour waiting for it to roast in the oven.
I believe that fresh beats canned any time of the year; the same goes for tomatoes. Fresh Roma tomatoes have a unique naturally sweet flavor that is just so satisfying to the senses ?
I know that sometimes it’s easier to use canned tomatoes if they are there, and you just don’t feel like dicing tomatoes tonight.
Overall, you can get great results with both fresh and canned tomatoes; just make sure to use high-quality tomatoes in both cases; tomatoes are the star of the show, after all ?
How to Store and Freeze Creamy Tomato Soup?
Storage: Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days
Reheat: Rewarm on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave.
Freeze: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating. You can add a little bit of water when reheating from frozen.