Mushrooms, Cream, and lots of love are the main ingredients for this creamy mushroom soup. It is the perfect start for any dinner party or just a cold winter night in front of the TV.
Mushroom’s deep and earthy flavor, with a hint of garlic and onion, made this delicious mushroom soup a family favorite, and the best part is it’s easy to make and only takes 30 minutes. I guess it’s time to tell canned soup. “Stay on your shelf!”
Is Mushroom Soup Healthy?
Yes! Mushrooms are not only delicious and low-calorie; they are also packed with nutritional benefits. Mushrooms are loaded with tons of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that easily make them a necessary part of any diet.
Crimini mushrooms (The most popular mushrooms in the US and the ones used in this recipe) are a great source of Zinc, Copper, Selenium, Magnesium, and Phosphorus; all are essential minerals to maintain a healthy body. For more information on the health benefits of mushrooms, click here!
The devil is in the details!
How you cook mushrooms will define how healthy your meal can be. If you want an ultra-healthy mushroom soup, then you might consider using light cream or low-fat milk instead of heavy cream or even skipping the dairy altogether and going vegan on that one!
Creamy Mushroom Soup Ingredients
Mushrooms: Since mushrooms are the star of this show, I recommend fresh brown or cremini mushrooms. I used baby Bellas for this recipe but feel free to choose your favorite or a combination.
Herbs: I only used parsley to garnish this recipe, but you can mix and match thyme, rosemary, oregano, tarragon, chives, or cilantro. Make it your own!
Cream: Heavy Cream gives the soup a rich, thick texture, but you can use half and half, light cream, or thickened Cream.
Broth: Vegetable, chicken, or beef broth, depending on your taste. If you are vegan or vegetarian, vegetable broth is the way to go. Keep reading for the vegan version of this soup!
Cooking mushroom soup without Cream is easier than you think, and it’s still also very delicious!
All you need is to replace the butter with Margarine, use vegetable broth, and skip the heavy cream. You can also use any dairy-free milk of your choice to give it a bit of the creamy consistency, but the flavor will change depending on the type of milk.
How to make Creamy Mushroom Soup
- In a pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5 -7 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Season it with salt, and black pepper, then add the flour, stir to coat everything.
- Add the broth slowly and stir to form a smooth soup.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes while occasionally stirring, then turn the heat off and remove from stove.
- Using a hand blender or a mixer, grind the mushrooms until the texture is smooth.
- Put back on the stove, add the heavy cream and bring it to a quick boil over low heat.
- Serve it hot with croutons and garnish with fresh parsley!
Storing and Freezing Cream of Mushroom Soup
Storing: Wait for the soup to cool down, store in an air-tight container and refrigerate within two hours of cooking. It should keep for two days!
Freezing: I am not a big fan of freezing milk-based products because of curdling.
Having said that, you can still freeze it following these steps:
- Wait for it to cool down completely.
- Scoop in a covered air-tight container or heavy-duty freezer bag. (Make sure to leave enough space in the bag or container for expansion due to freezing)
- Thaw it in a refrigerator for a few hours when ready to use, or preferably overnight. (P.S. The cream will most likely separate from the rest of the liquid, and a yellowish hue from the fat in the cream will form during freezing, which is normal. The color and texture should be back to normal during the thawing process)
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and gently reheat, stirring constantly. (As stated above, the color and texture might change, but the stirring will work to reincorporate the texture to its original state)
Check out my other soup recipes:
Egyptian Style Orzo Pasta soup
Creamy Tomato Soup With Fresh Tomatoes
Egyptian Style Orzo Pasta Soup