This baked creamy four-cheese mac and cheese is one of my kid’s favorite meals! It is loaded with four types of cheese (Velveeta, Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Parmesan) and topped with crispy breadcrumbs, making it the perfect dinner for the family!
- Pasta: I prefer elbows pasta, but any short pasta can work (penne, fusilli, ditalini, etc.)
- Butter: Unsalted butter to toast the flour.
- Flour: All-purpose flour to make the base of the cheese sauce.
- Milk: I used 2% milk.
- Heavy cream: just a little bit of it to get an extra creamy texture.
- Cheese: Velveeta, parmesan, mozzarella, and cheddar cheese. But, you can substitute any kind of cheese with your favorite.
- Spices: Ground Nutmeg, sweet paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- Breadcrumbs: gives a crispy taste.
- Pasta water or regular water: helps lighten the sauce.
How to make Four Cheese Mac and cheese:
- Cook the pasta. Bring water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and oil. Add the pasta, stir occasionally—Cook for 10 minutes or until Al dente. Remove from heat and drain. (Save 1 cup of pasta water before draining).
- Cook the Cheese sauce. In a large pot, melt the butter, add the flour, and toast until lightly browned. Gradually pour the milk by continuously whisking until all the flour is dissolved. Add the spices, heavy cream, pasta water, and the four cheese. Allow simmering, with regular stirring, until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Add the cooked pasta. Turn off the heat and then stir in the cooked pasta.
- Bake. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a baking dish or a casserole, top it with extra cheese and sprinkle some breadcrumbs. Then place it in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve. Remove from oven and allow it to cook for 5 minutes, and serve.
- You can substitute the cheese with any kind of cheese you prefer.
- If the cheese sauce is too thick, add more ½ -1 cup of water or milk.
- If the cheese sauce is too watery and is not thick enough, cook for a few minutes or in a small bowl; dissolve ½ cup of cold water with one tablespoon of flour, then add it to the sauce and cook it.
- Cook the cheese sauce over medium-low heat with stirring regularly; to avoid burning the cheese from the bottom. That will end into a burnt taste, and you should throw it away and fix a new one.
What to serve with Four Cheese Mac and cheese?
- I like to serve it with fried chicken tenders or strips.
- Serve it with Grilled Chicken and sautéed veggies.
Place the leftovers in an air-tight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.