This one is HOT! So if you love spicy food, you will love this spicy shrimp recipe. It is healthy, delicious, and has a strong kick. Add some sliced mushrooms and serve it with your favorite kind of pasta (whole wheat or white pasta), and you are in shrimp heaven.
This spicy shrimp recipe is the perfect last-minute dinner idea that is fast, easy to make, and so delicious.
Is Shrimp healthy?
Yes! Shrimp is one of those foods that are low in calories but are very high in nutritional value. 3 oz of shrimp has almost 90% of the calories from protein and another 10% from fat. AKA No Carbs. (1)
Shrimp also contains various vitamins and minerals, the most important of which is Iodine and Selenium.
Selenium has been linked to multiple benefits such as supporting the immune system, inflammatory benefits, and cardiovascular benefits. (4)
High Cholesterol content in Shrimp!
Shrimp is notoriously high in Cholesterol, which is why a lot of people are turning their backs on this delicious crustacean. Research has shown that moderate shrimp consumption does not constitute any risk to healthy individuals(5), so feel free to enjoy shrimp responsibly.
Spicy Shrimp Recipe Ingredients:
Very simple ingredients are needed to make this delicious spicy shrimp recipe.
- Raw Shrimps: Thawed, peeled, deveined, and tail on or off. I prefer large shrimps for this recipe but feel free to use any available shrimps in your freezer.
- Extra virgin Olive oil: I prefer olive oil, but you can use butter or neutral oil instead.
- Red Chili Flakes: You can make them as spicy or as mild as you like. It depends on how much heat you prefer.
- Garlic: Adds to the flavor and the fragrance.
- Mushrooms: (Optional) I like mushrooms, but you can take it off, substitute or add your favorite vegetables (Broccoli, zucchini, or both!).
- Crushed tomatoes: Just a little to give the dish some sauce.
- Spices: Paprika and Dried Oregano.
- Salt and Black pepper To taste.
- Fresh parsley: Adds new flavor and is also used as a garnish.
- Pasta: Whole wheat or regular pasta. Mix it with the shrimp and the sauce in the pan, or add it on the side.
How to make Spicy Shrimp?
1- Prepare the shrimp. Thaw the shrimps if frozen. If you are running short on time, you can thaw quickly by running cold water on them and drain very well.
2-In a large skillet. Heat the olive oil, add the minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds until golden, then add the red chili flakes and stir for 20 seconds until fragrant. (Don’t burn them, or your dish will taste very bitter).
3-Add the shrimps. Sauté the mushroom or any vegetables. Toss the shrimps, spices, and crushed tomatoes. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes, until the shrimps are pink and opaque. Add the chopped parsley.
4-Serve. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with pasta on the side or pour the pasta in the pan with your shrimps and stir.
- Avoid overcooking. Shrimps don’t take time to cook and can quickly turn rubbery if overcooked. They should be pink, opaque, and curled into “C” shapes.
- Do not burn Chili flakes! or your dish will taste very bitter, 20 seconds are all you need!
- Raw vs. pre-cooked shrimps. Raw shrimps are used for this recipe, as the pre-cooked will turn out soft and lack in flavor.
- Heat. You can make your dish as hot or as mild as you like. It depends on how much heat you prefer.
- Marinate. There is NO need to marinate the shrimps; simply add them to the skillet with the spices and cook.
What to serve with a Spicy Shrimp dish?
I usually like to serve these spicy shrimps with pasta or rice and salad.
Store the leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for three days.