Air frying is a game-changer for making healthier yet delicious snacks. These Mediterranean homemade air fryer pita chips are sure to be a hit at your next gathering or simply as a tasty treat for yourself. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll never go back to store-bought pita chips again.
These crispy chips are delicious and a healthier alternative to traditional potato chips. And in just 10 minutes, you have perfectly crisp, flavorful homemade chips made the Mediterranean way.
Why Air Fryer Pita Chips?
- Air Fryer Pita Chips are a healthier version of traditional pita chips that are usually deep-fried (used in most Fatta dishes).
- Air frying (1) is a revolutionary cooking technique that uses hot air circulation to give fried food a crispy texture without excess oil and calories. Using an air fryer to make the pita chips, we significantly cut down on the oil used, reducing fat content and overall calorie count.
- These chips can be seasoned with various flavors, from simple salt and pepper to more complex spice blends.
- Air fryer pita chips are impressively adaptable. You can enjoy it alone or pair it with your favorite dip like hummus, tzatziki, guacamole, baba ganoush, or anything else you have on hand.
- Quick: Thanks to the air fryer, you can have a pile of crispy pita chips ready in 10 minutes.
- Repurpose Leftover Pitas: If you have leftover pita pockets or an extra pack of pita bread in your fridge, transforming them into crunchy pita chips is a great way to avoid waste.
Air Fryer Pita Chips Ingredients:
This air fryer pita chips recipe requires six simple ingredients available in any pantry.
- Pita Bread: Either homemade or store-bought pita bread works! I prefer whole wheat pita pockets, but you can use gluten-free or regular pita bread (available in any grocery store). If you like using Lebanese flatbread, it can work, too. Remember that it is thinner and takes less cooking time—also, you can make air fryer tortilla chips by cutting tortillas into triangles.
- Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is the go-to choice for Mediterranean cuisine due to its health benefits and rich flavor. However, other oils such as avocado oil, coconut oil, or grapeseed oil can also be used. Also, cooking spray works too!
- Salt (sea salt or kosher salt)and black pepper to taste.
- Dried oregano and garlic powder: Adds a great flavor.
The spices here reflect the flavors of the Mediterranean, but feel free to experiment with your favorite seasonings.
How to make these pita chips?
- Prep Your Pita: Cut each pita bread into 8 triangles using a knife or a pizza cutter.
- Season: In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Toss the pita triangles in the mixture, ensuring each piece is well coated.
- Air Fry: Arrange the pita triangles in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Make sure not to overcrowd them. Cook at 350°F for about 4-5 minutes, flip the chips, and cook for another 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Cool and Serve: Allow the chips to cool for a few minutes at room temperature before serving. This will help them crisp up even more, and serve them with your favorite dip or alone.
The beauty of these pita chips lies in their versatility. While garlic powder and oregano are classic Mediterranean flavors, you can switch things up depending on the season:
- Spicy: Olive oil, chili flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, and sea salt. For an extra kick, add a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Herbaceous: Mix olive oil with rosemary, thyme, Italian seasoning, and sea salt.
- Cheesy: Toss the pita chips in olive oil, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garlic powder before air frying.
- Za’atar: This Middle Eastern spice blend is made from sesame seeds, dried thyme, marjoram, and sumac. Mix it with olive oil for a tangy, savory flavor.
- Cinnamon Sugar: For a sweet twist, brush the pita chips with melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Can you make these pita chips in the oven instead?
Yes sure! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still make deliciously crispy pita chips in a conventional oven. Here’s how:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the pita bread into wedges. You can usually get 8 triangles from one round pita.
- Arrange the pita wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Brush both sides of each pita wedge lightly with the olive oil and spices mix.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the chips are golden brown and crispy. Be sure to keep an eye on them, as they can burn quickly.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool at room temperature before serving. The chips will continue to crisp up as they cool.
How to store and freeze?
- First, make sure your pita chips are completely cool before storing them for the best results. (Storing warm chips can lead to condensation, making them soggy.)
- Transfer the cooled pita chips to an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- Keep the container in a cool, dry place such as a pantry or cupboard for 3-5 days. (Avoid places with high temperature or humidity as it can affect the texture and freshness of the chips)
- Place your cooled pita chips in a freezer-safe ziplock bag or container. If using a bag, try to remove as much air as possible before sealing it. Frozen pita chips can last up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Pita Chips?
Homemade pita chips are incredibly versatile and can be served with a variety of dips, spreads, and accompaniments. Here are a few suggestions: