If you are looking for healthy, delicious, and fast lunch ideas, this Mediterranean Tuna Salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing is all you need!
This healthy No mayo salad is loaded with fresh vegetables, and a unique dressing comes together in less than 15 minutes. Serve it on a salad, on a sandwich, on a lettuce leaf, or a pasta. If you like tuna with pasta, check out here this delicious Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad | No Mayo.
Is Tuna Salad Healthy?
Yes, fresh or canned tuna is healthy! But it depends on whether the canned tuna is packed in water or oil also if the dressing has sugar or saturated fat (mayo).
- Canned tuna in oil (1) has higher calories and fat than canned tuna in water (2).
- Fresh or canned tuna is a high source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids (3), and several essential vitamins and minerals (vitamin D, selenium, and iodine).
- Finally, canned tuna in water is good for losing weight, as it is low in calories and high in protein.
Mediterranean Tuna Salad Ingredients:
This tuna salad is timeless and easy to make in less than 15 minutes. Feel free to add or take off any ingredient.
- Canned tuna: I used canned Albacore in water.
- Vegetables: Green bell peppers, Tomatoes, and Onions are good sources of vitamins; finely diced.
- Olives (optional): Kalamata or black olives; it adds a slightly salty flavor.
- Herbs: fresh celery and parsley add freshness to the salad; finely chopped.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garlic: fresh minced garlic; gives the salad a garlicky taste.
- Lemon juice: adds freshens and brightness.
- Balsamic vinegar: gives a tangy taste.
- Sumac: Is a spice with a tangy taste with a hint of citrus flavor. Used in most middle eastern dishes.
- Extra virgin Olive Oil: adds flavor.
- Cayenne pepper (optional): gives a kick of spicy.
How to Make Mediterranean Tuna Salad:
- Prepare the dressing. Whisk the salt, pepper, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, sumac, cayenne pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl or a tight-lid mason jar. Set aside.
- Vegetables and herbs. Finely chop the tomatoes, onions, green peppers, celery, and parsley. Use sliced or pitted Kalamata olives.
- Tuna. Drain the tuna very well to prevent the tuna salad from becoming watery.
- Serve. Finally, add the drained tuna and vegetables into a large serving bowl. Then pour the dressing all over and mix well.
How to serve this Tuna salad?
- Sandwich: Add the Tuna to Whole Wheat or White Pita Bread. Or wrap it in a Lettuce leaf for a lighter low carb option.
- Salad: Place it in a bed of Mixed Greens.
- Pasta: Whole Wheat or Regular pasta.
Place the leftover in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
CHECK OUT MORE RECIPES:
Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad | No Mayo
Oven Baked Shrimp | Middle-Eastern
15 Minutes Spicy Shrimp Recipe
Excellent recipe! Thank you for sharing it.